If you are driving a semi-truck, you should consider signing up for big rig insurance. Considering the risks that you face on the road, you have to be prepared and protected in case things go wrong.
An 18-wheeler truck isn’t exactly the most maneuverable vehicle out there, especially if you are loaded up with cargo and have to traverse the highways. It doesn’t matter if you are a very safe driver — no one is invulnerable to accidents, even if you exercise all caution.
When this happens, having big rig insurance will definitely make a difference and ensures that your rights reserved.
What Coverage Will You Need?
It’s essential to get familiar with the types of big rig insurance or commercial insurance for trucks in order for you to get the right one for your needs. Here are the most common ones:
- Auto Liability – If the accident is your fault, this covers your legal obligation to the driver of the other vehicle. This kind of insurance commercial truck or big rig insurance pays for the legal expenses in case they decide to sue. Under this, you have coverage for bodily injury liability, which will pay for the other driver’s hospital bills and wages that he may have lost because of the incident. It’s basically a payment for the pain and suffering you have caused to another person.
Owner operators also have property damage liability, which covers the repairs of the other car, or the replacement if there’s a need for one. If other properties were damaged by your truck or motor carrier during the accident, this liability covers it as well.
- Cargo Insurance – This commercial truck insurance provides protection for that cargo on your truck in case things like theft, fire, and collision happens. This truck insurance or big rig insurance also covers the costs of clearing the road of debris, which is definitely important because the costs for this are usually high.
- Physical damage insurance – As an owner operator, if your vehicle or motor carrier is damaged because of an occupational accident, this coverage will help get your vehicle back on the road as soon as possible. Keep in mind that a commercial auto liability insurance will not cover this part, so it’s important to have physical damage insurance as well.
Under this type of big rig insurance, owner operators also get collision coverage, which helps repair or replace your damaged truck. You get comprehensive coverage, which covers the costs incurred for loss or damage that wasn’t caused by collision or accidents.
- General liability – This big rig or truck insurance commercial protects an owner operator in case somebody sues him for bodily injury or property damage that resulted from the services of its commercial auto business which are not related to driving.
An example of this general liability or commercial truck insurance is when somebody trips or falls on your property and that person decides to sue.
- Pollution and Hazmat – This is a great added benefit for owner operators in case you need to clear up the environment after an occupational accident. The expenses for this one can get astronomical, so this is why you must seriously consider signing up for it.
How Do You Get Quotes for Big Rig Insurance?
Now that you have acquainted yourself with the basics of big rig insurance, it’s now on to the nitty-gritty — getting an insurance quote for your policy. At this stage, dealing with only the best truck insurance experts will make a huge difference. Here’s how it works:
- Contact an insurance expert – After you have done your research and chosen potential insurance teams or an insurance agency for your policy, you need to get in touch with them as soon as possible. Fortunately, this is very easy since you can do so by phone, email, chat, or filling out an online quote form. A commercial truck ins agent will get in touch with you real quick after you get in touch.
- Give necessary information – The agent will have to ask some essential questions to get the information needed for your big rig insurance quote.
- Compare quotes – After you’ve done the bit with several insurance providers, it’s time to compare the quotes you got in order to find out which is the perfect fit for you.
It’s In Your Best Interest to Get Big Rig Insurance
So make sure that you go through each quote you have to get the tailored rig or truck insurance plan with all the right coverage. Let SoCal Truck Insurance help you choose the right insurance plan for you. We offer quality commercial truck insurance that helps your trucking business operate in confidence.